TEN YEAR STRATEGIC PLAN MISSION
“The purpose of this congregation shall be to seek the honor and glory of God, to carry out His will, to manifest the unity of the faith in Jesus Christ as God and Savior, to spread the kingdom of God and to foster Christian fellowship and love.” [Article II, Pilgrim’s Constitution]
Matthew 28:18-20 Jesus said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
It is the mission of each Christian congregation, as set forth by our Savior Himself in the Great Commission of Matthew 28, to ‘make disciples’ for Christ until ‘the end of the age.’ This then is the purpose for our existence as a congregation, and the reason for which Christ established Pilgrim Lutheran Church in 1968.
The challenge we face today in the Flint area is that we now live in an age where it is far more difficult to fulfill the Great Commission as it once was just a few decades ago. As a result, every Lutheran congregation in the surrounding Flint area is experiencing decline - including our own.
Now, this does not mean that the continued decline of our congregation is inevitable. But what it does mean is that we must work harder, each and every one of us, to be more deliberate in ‘making disciples’ for Christ, and in fulfilling the mission He has given us.
Our vision is to ‘make’ Pilgrim a place where we can become more faithful ‘disciples’ of Jesus Christ, and also seek to ‘make disciples’ of others, by intentionally communicating the love of Christ through our personal relationships with non-Christians, in response to Christ’s command.
The strategy of our congregation focuses on discipleship. As we intentionally seek to mature into faithful disciples, through active worship, Bible study, Communion attendance, prayer, fellowship, stewardship and Christian service, we will be better equipped to reach out to non-Christians, and to assist in ‘making disciples’ of them by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Pilgrim Lutheran Church
2015 - 2025
1) The Next Ten Years (and perhaps beyond)
The Pastor will not be retiring from full-time ministry at Pilgrim until at least August 2025. Therefore, over the next 10 years, the Pastor is committing himself to assist all of our members in becoming more faithful disciples and in ‘making disciples’ of non-Christians.
That every member would regularly pray for the Holy Spirit to be active among us, in order to achieve our goals of being faithful disciples and ‘making disciples.’
3) Making Disciples
That every member would seek to become a devoted disciple of Jesus, by commitment to regular worship, Bible class, daily prayer for the church, faithful stewardship, as well as witnessing to the faith and inviting others to join us.
4) Young family ministry focus
- Early first communion for children
- Sunday Morning Bible Class (with nursery)
- Youth Group
- Confirmation class
- Vacation Bible School
- Easter Egg Hunt
- Nursery during worship service
- Kids for Christ - on fourth Saturdays
5) Older adult ministry focus
- Wednesday morning Bible Class
- Adult membership classes
- Support groups (grief, illness, pet loss, etc)
- Transportation to church for homebound members
- Serve as a visiting friend to homebound members
6) General Ministry improvements
- Saturday Evening Contemporary Service (goal for weekly services)
- Weekly communion (between Saturdays and Sundays)
- Monthly social activity (Game night, Movie night, etc)
- Spiritual gifts analysis and implementation
- Promote the endowment fund for future church needs (Thrivent)
7) Mission Communities
- Friend Days (three times per year)
- Establish Mission Communities
- Dwelling 1:14 Workshops
8) Community Outreach
- His Handy Hands Ministry
- Support Groups: grief, pet loss, etc.
- Individual Grief counseling
- Saturday Workshops - seasonal
- Mentor program for unchurched
- Church website
- Active church Facebook page
- Annual canvassing of neighborhoods
- Electronic Church sign
- Separate website for grief ministry